Although air conditioning isn’t technically a necessity, we also wouldn’t consider it a luxury either. Today, almost every building, home, business, and car has some sort of cooling device, whether it is a central AC, ductless mini-splits, or simply high-powered fans. Regardless of what type of cooling system you have, it will need to be maintained, periodically repaired, and eventually replaced. That’s where Honest Abe’s Home Services comes in! We are a full-service, air conditioning, and air quality company that is pleased to be serving you with excellent customer service and knowledgeable technicians.
How To Tell if Your Air Conditioner Needs Repairs
Aside from not having ANY cold air, there are a few telltale signs that your HVAC unit is in need of repair. Many of these can be prevented with annual tune-ups and regular air filter changes, but as units age, problems begin to arise more often. Here are a few red flags that your system needs a repair or will in the near future:
- Inaccurate Thermostat: Check the batteries first, but if there is no change, there may be an electrical issue
- Little to No Airflow: This could mean a blockage or a broken blower motor
- Excess Humidity: An AC should remove a decent portion of the moisture in your home’s air. Finding it to be more humid than usual could be a sign of malfunction and not just higher outdoor moisture
- Loud Noises: Broken or loose parts can cause strange noises. The same can be said for loose air ducts, so always be on the lookout for anything that sounds out of the ordinary in your home.
- Bad Odors: An AC should not create any odors smelling burnt plastic, chemicals, or any other noticeable scent that is problematic
- Warm Air: If you have airflow but no cold air, you may be out of refrigerant. Similarly, an issue with your evaporator coils could also be the cause of lukewarm air.
Benefits of New AC Installations
Opting to purchase a new air conditioning system and have it installed typically comes after a lot of consideration or expensive repairs. Air conditioners only last about 15 years, but if they haven’t been maintained well, they will last a shorter period of time. No matter your reasoning for purchasing a new AC, you should consider carefully whether or not you want to have it professionally installed and by who:
- Choosing a neighborhood handyman may result in the manufacturer’s warranty being voided, and if they do not carry insurance, you may be stuck paying for any damage
- Installing a new AC system yourself can be dangerous--you will be working with a heavy unit and electricity. You don’t have to chance electrocution if you opt for an Honest Abe’s technician
- Purchasing a properly-sized AC is important to be cost and energy efficient. Our technicians can help guide you to the right unit for your home and budget
- You will increase your energy efficiency due to the unit being set up for your home. This also increases the longevity of an AC unit
Indoor Air Quality and Your AC Filter
Have you been sneezing and coughing a lot lately? Or maybe your eyes have been red, itchy, and watery. Those are all classic signs of allergies, but they may not be from pollen or anything outside. Your allergies could be being affected by a dirty AC filter!
Although forgetting to change your AC filter for a few days may not be the end of the world, forgetting to change it for weeks or months may cause a problem. Your air filter traps the dirt, debris, pollen, dust, and dander that flow through your air ducts and ensures that you don’t breathe these irritants in. A dirty filter will not be able to catch all of these contaminants, which means you will be breathing all of them in!
In addition to poor air quality, when your filter is dirty, you will also see increased energy bills and increased wear and tear on your AC. Both of these issues are due to the fact the system has to work harder to push air through your home.
What Are Ductless Mini Split AC Systems?
Ductless mini-split AC systems may sound like the newest cooling technology, but the truth is that these units have been around for years! They have been popular in overseas countries like Japan due to the little space needed for the system to function. To explain these systems a bit better, they consist of two main components and are linked by a conduit. The inside component is basically an air handler that circulates cool air in the room, and the outdoor component is similar to a compressor. As air enters the system, it is blown over evaporator coils to cool it and is circulated through the room. The refrigerant that is in the coils expands to a gas and travels to the outdoor compressor to release the heat and be compressed back into a liquid, returning to the evaporator coils.
Ductless mini-split AC systems can cool whole houses by hooking up to 4 of the indoor components (wall cassettes) to one outdoor compressor. Because these units do not need air ducts, no cool air is lost in transit making them far more efficient than traditional AC systems.
Why Is Your Air Blowing Warm?
If your air conditioning is blowing warm air or not at all, it is certainly time for a call to Honest Abe’s Home Services! As we mentioned, we’re a full-service AC company which means no problem is too big or too small for us. When our technicians arrive at a call, they will diagnose your AC problem and give you the information you need to make the best decision for your home and budget! If you aren’t sure what to do, as our honest opinion--we’ll tell you what we would choose for our own home!